Climate Rescue of Wagga (CROW) Inc. was started after a series of informal café meetings held over about a year. The topics discussed revolved around Climate Change and our responses individually and as a community.
By October 2006 it became clear that there was a need for a community group to take on that work. A Public meeting was called, a workshop on the ways in which we might go was run and a steering committee formed.
CROW was officially launched in October 2006.
It was decided that three main areas would be the focus for CROW:
- local solutions
Subgroups were set up around these themes.
CROW initiatives over the last 3 years include:
- a screening of Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth
- The Food Less Traveled dinner
- meetings with our local member, council, Country Energy, and businesses
- the formation of a regional alliance of climate change groups
- a meeting with the Community Liaison Unit of Department of Water and Climate Change in Canberra
- launching of a series of Climate Change postcards and Tee Shirts designed by boys in the Riverina Juvenile Justice Centre
- production of a science unit for year 10 on a simple greenhouse gas experiment.
The group attends local and regional environmental seminars, has regular input on local government Climate Change issues through the Wagga Environmental Advisory Committee.
CROW also runs community events in Wagga such as the Walk Against Warming, the Get Up! Climate Torch, and co ordinating four local 350.org events.
As part of their Education focus they have partnered with the City Library, Friends of the Library and Council to provide Energy Audit Kits to be loaned out through the Library.